Sunday, January 13, 2008

We Aint Chicken!!

Warm pancakes sizzled on her griddle. REAL maple syrup stood at the ready. A simple country woman sat down and tried to satisfy herself with a simple country breakfast. However, this was the 2000s and technology was just a room away.
“Hmmm, wonder what's going on over at AQ?”
Simple questions don't always lead to simple answers.
She turns on her computer and found a partner in crime. (That's where I come in.)
You see, I had spent the weekend working hard. I had a fun time with my nieces who spent the night. I had cleaned up some 'piles' in desperate need of being sorted through. And I REALLY wanted to go boxing. And I REALLY thought I deserved to go boxing. So when I saw Holly was making pancakes and sensed she was dreaming of a day spent boxing, I jumped on the chance. It just so turned out Holly wasn't the only Farm Maiden in need of rescue. Mama Fox joined us for our adventures of the day.
Three very well behaved women, some fox kits and a buckaroo were off to spend an afternoon in the park. We found ourselves communing with river spirits, searching for the three sisters and hunting Little People. We were having a great time when we noticed a dark cloud looming on the horizon...literally. But we could just hear the voice of Straw Man Pete haunting us...we had to go on until we found him. About the time we found him big drops of rain began falling. We quickly covered up with a bright yellow poncho from Holly. Talk about discreet! But the logbooks must remain dry at all costs! We stamped in and headed back to our cars (a good ¼ mile away). We found a few little folks peeking out along the way, so we visited politely with them and went on. By the time we got to our cars we were all wet and cold. So what did we do? We followed Frank's example and went for coffee! Nothing like a nice hot drink when you are damp and chilly, mmmm.
Something about being warm again made us very brave. It was time to prove that we weren't chicken. Of course, we had Mama Fox to lead the way. We crossed the crosswalks with only seconds to spare. We passed by men in black. Punks winked at us as they strutted by, as if they knew where we were headed and why. In this way we entered Chicken Alley. We got the grand tour. We were glad to find that nerds are loved and respected there. I thought I saw the headless chicken peering out from under a stairwell, but I'm not sure. In any case, this is one of those treasures not found in your tourist guidebooks! My favorite part of this experience was the photo I captured on my cell phone of Mama Fox looking like a true punk, herself. That graffiti is a great backdrop for photos!
I reached my 400th find today. Exciting stuff, but not nearly as exciting as the AWESOME friends that I have come to know and the adventures these finds represent.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Too much fun !!!!! Thanks for a fun day !