Friday, October 19, 2007

Above All: Be Discreet!!!


Media coverage, large groups trampling the area, children screaming,"Here's the letterbox, mom!" for all the world to hear...All of these topics are sure to get a response on the AQ message boards. Letterboxers are almost like a secret spy organization. We memorize our clues, we go from tree to tree always watching behind us, we call outsiders 'muggles' or 'birds'. We grab our loot, get our work done and carefully replace it until it is invisible to the human eye. All the while looking over our shoulder. We wear our 'plain clothes' so that we never attract attention.
Usually.
When I met a local clown, I was skeptic about her blending in abilities. She assured me she was discreet. She always took her round, red nose off when boxing. She never made insane balloon animals while boxing, although her children might be wearing balloon hats. She reassured me this was normal.
I wasn't so sure.
Yesterday she proved to me that a clown can actually be a perfect disguise in some cases! At a local Senior Citizens Fall Festival a few of us managed to have a mini gathering. Nobody ever even took a second look.
I think I might get one of those noses.

No comments: