Friday, August 10, 2007

That's Just WEIRD!!!


While browsing a local Barnes and Noble a very special book caught my eye. In large fiery letters I saw the words WEIRD CAROLINAS. Touristy type things usually lose me, but you say WEIRD and you've got me! This book claimed to show and tell some of the weirdest places and stories in SC and NC. This seemed to me almost like a letterbox planters guide book! I didn't purchase the book that day, but since I couldn't stop imagining what was in between the hard cover of this captivating book, I finally used my Amazon certificate I'd been saving for a rainy day and got it.
The book arrived via UPS today and has been in somebody's hands all day. Fender Bender was the first to be hypnotized by the strange tales and as soon as I saw him set the book down, I grabbed it. Now Large Talons is being drawn into it's mysterious web. It feels like The Deathly Hallows all over again. We are each just waiting for a chance to get our hands on it again. And 'd' has yet to open it. As soon as he gets home, he will have to pry it out from under somebody's pillow, I am sure! There is so much fun information in these pages that it is impossible to absorb it all in one day. And after you read it you will be ready to get in your car and GO see them. After all, they are right in your state!
With chapter titles like, Local Legends, Bizarre Beasts, Roadside Oddities, Road Less Traveled and Cemetery Safari, you can see why our attention has been captured. This book is full of strange stories about the towns and cities near us, like the UFO Welcome Center in Bowman, SC. There are strange sights like Vollis Simpson's Whirligig Park in Wilson, NC . There are strange people like the Button King of Bishopville, SC and there's the Bureaus of Biggism in High Point, or how about the bottle farm on the outskirts of Forest City, NC. Judaculla Rock, Elmwood Cemetery and Poinsett Bridge are also featured.
When I see names of the counties and towns listed I can't help but imagine all of the letterboxers that go with those places as I read. Here are box ideas begging to be made and hidden, many of them already have!
What's even cooler about this book, is that it is part of a series based on Weird US. There is a book for most states! Somewhere near you there is a weird tale waiting to be told. Check this book out, I am sure you won't regret it. I am also secretly hoping that a letterboxing boom will come on the tails of this wonderfully weird knowledge.

No comments: